Thursday, November 04, 2004

Highway Robbery


So, I take a taxi from my apartment to the Home Depot. That was $32 including tip. I have my Blazer towed to Cobb Parkway Chevrolet, which was a long way. The tow truck driver charged me $125. Cash. No check or credit card. Cash. Jerk. Then the service guy at the Chevy place tells me the labor to take off the wheel and look at the problem was going to be between $45 and $97. He said he would call me before they do anything, so I took the courtesy van home. I'm surprised they didn't charge me for that. I took the bus up to the bookstore after lunch - $1.25. While I'm there, I call my answering machine and check my messages. There's one from the Chevy place telling me it's done and to come pick it up. So they never called me to tell me what needed to be fixed - they just did it. Now I'm livid. The van picks me up at the bookstore, and I go find out what the problem was. All it needed was a bolt that came loose and made the caliper drop off the arm, causing it to dig into the wheel rim. The bolt was $4.25, misc. charges (which I assume are grease, towels, and such - geez) were $5.20, and the labor was - surprise, surprise - $93.39. To take off a wheel and screw in a bolt. I should've just bent over and dropped my pants. Get out your slide rules - this is what that one little bolt cost me:

Taxi - $32.00
Tow truck - $125.00
Bus - $1.25
Bolt - $4.25
Misc. charges - $5.20
Labor - $93.39

TOTAL - $261.09

Henry Ford, take thy beak from out my heart.

Jerk.

No comments: